It's May 1st and it's LABOR'S DAY!
HAPPY LABOR'S DAY TO ALL!
Today is the first public holiday after FT's Day which was on February 1st. Three whole months of dry season.. in my context, the 'dry season' refers to no public holiday!
So, you can imagine how I look forward to today.. just like the flower welcome the rain after a dry spell. Such a welcome break from the rat race world! Even just a day makes a whole lot of a difference. Well, tomorrow back to work but tomorrow's Friday! Yay!
Since I'm contented and happy today, I made this wonderful muffin. Coffee and chocolate makes a sophisticated (if you can call it that) flavor. I love coffee and I love chocolate.. so this is amazingly yummy for me. And you know what, I'm also feeling generous and shall bring some for my colleagues tomorrow. I bet they will have a satisfied smug in their faces after eating this.
If you are mad about muffins, you should get the recipe book which this recipe comes from, which is called exactly that.. 'Mad About Muffins' by Diana Bonarparte.
285g plain all purpose flour
15g instant coffee powder or granules (I used espresso as I like it strong)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
170g light muscovado sugar
190g double (heavy) cream
100g butter, melted
150g plain semi-sweet chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
Topping: 40g demerara sugar
2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir well.
3. Combine eggs, milk and cream in medium bowl and mix together with a fork, try not to thicken the cream.
4. Mix in the melted butter.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir with a large metal spoon until just moistened.
6. Fold in the choc chunks into the batter. Spoon batter into prepared cups to 3/4 full and top with sprinkling the demerara sugar.
7. Bake for 25 mins or until risen and done. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Absolutely satisfying with a cup of hot black coffee!