This is a wonderfully moist and delicious cake. Taken from the cookbook 'Favorite Brand Name CHOCOLATE'. It's a compilation of chocolate recipes. I've been 'eyeing' this recipe ever since I purchased this book and that was a couple of months ago. I'm glad I bought this book and since this cake is so delicious especially if eaten chilled, I'd like to share the recipe with you. At the end of this post, you will find a video on how I iced this cake with the chocolate ganache...hope you enjoy watching it!
Triple Chocolate Cake
(I used chocolate ganache for the filling and the frosting)
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup)
3/4 cup/180g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 sour cream (I used yogurt as substitute)
Chocolate Ganache for filling (recipe follows)
Easy Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
3. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in egg and vanilla until blended. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk and sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
5. Bake 30-35 mins or until done. Cool cake in pan, remove to wore racks to cool completely. Cut each cake layer in half and frost the cake.
Chocolate Ganache Filling: Bring 3/4 cup whipping cream, 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp sugar to boil, stir until sugar dissolved. Place 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips in medium bowl, pour cream mixture over chocolate and let stand 5 mins. Stir until smooth, let stand 15 mins or until filling reaches desired consistency. Filling will thicken as it cools. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Note: since I use choc ganache for the filling and the frosting, I doubled the recipe.
Easy Chocolate Frosting: Beat 1/2 cup (1 stick/115g) softened butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add 4 cups (reduce this as I think 4 cups is too much) powdered sugar and 3/4 cup cocoa in batches alternately with 1/2 cup milk; beat until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Makes about 3 cups.