Since I've 'discovered' it, I then decided to make Blueberry Pie as I had recently bought a can of Blueberry Pie filling with the intention of eating it with pancakes. Then I thought since I'm making Lemon Ice Cream, it will be a perfect combination. And it is perfect! That's what my husband said. The pie is not too sweet and the Lemon Ice Cream is very refreshing with tinge of sweet and sourness in it. Purrfect!!
The dough recipe which I used in my pie is not the same as the recipe below. I don't have an exact measurement for my recipe as I used 'gut-feel' for done-ness of the dough. Basically the ingredients are the same as below except that I used eggs and not shortening. However, you can use the recipe below as this is taken from Good Housekeeping cookbook which it claimed to have 'tripled tried & tested'.
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
4-6 tbsp iced water
1. In large bowl, combine flour & salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tbsp at a time until dough is just moist enough to hold together.
3. Shape dough into 2 disks and refrigerate overnight.
4. Roll dough on floured board into 12 inch round and pie pan. Press dough against the pan.
5. Add in pie filling and roll another disk to cover the pie. Make a 'cross' cut in the centre and cover the pie.
5. Seal the sides and if you like, brush with egg wash.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 170degree celcius for about an hour till the top is golden.
Filling: Blueberry Pie Filling (1 can)
Grated rind and juice of 3 lemon
8 tbsp sugar (to your taste)
4 egg yolks
2 tsp cornflour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup whipping cream
1. Mix rind, juice, sugar, eggs and cornflour together. Give it a good whisk.
2. Head milk in a pan till just bubbling. Remove from heat.
3. Slowly pour milk into lemon mixture while constantly whisking it.
4. Return mixture to pan and cook custard till thicken.
5. Cool custard and chill overnight.
6. Prepare ice cream maker as per the manufacture instructions.
7. Mix chilled custard with whipping cream and pour into ice cream maker.