400g fresh pineapple, peeled, eye removed and cut into bite sizes (I used 1 small pineapple)
3 tbsp oil
1 1/2kg pig's trotters, cut into 2inch pieces (alternatively, pork ribs and/or a strip of pork belly)
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
4 tbsp tamarind pulp soaked in 250ml water, stirred and strained
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
2 tsp sugar
100g chopped shallots
10 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp ground dried red chillies
Blend spice ingredients together to a paste.
- Heat oil in large pot, saute the spice paste until fragrant.
- Add the pork, dark soy sauce, tamarind water (you may add more water if you want to have more gravy and if necessary for a more sourish taste, add more tamarind pulp if you wish), salt and sugar.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add the pineapple slices and gently cook until the pineapple is soft and translucent. Remove from heat.
- Leave to stand for several hours to allow the flavors to infuse into the meat.
- Re-heat just before serving with steamed rice.